Bulls For Sale
Good Selection: ON GRASS; READY TO WORK!
WTR Angus has 13 bulls for sale…2 PROVEN herd bulls age 2 and 5 along with 11 virgin yearling bulls … all on grass and ready to go to work for you.
- ALL bulls Ultrasounded
- Eight (8) bulls have DNA and Genomically enhanced EPD’s
- Four (4) bulls have been thru Feed Efficiency and Performance Testing in Iowa at Werner Feed Efficiency…all have beaten national averages for F:G (Feed to Gain conversion) and their calves will be desirable in feedlots
- ALL bulls will have been vet evaluated for Breeding Soundness Exam
- All have a full set of vaccines and wormers
- Good group of bulls: Balanced trait bulls with muscle and shape; length of body; and good feet and legs
- All bulls have been out on grass and ready to work on cows
|Anm Tag||Anm Birth Date||Reg No.||Name||BW EPD||WN EPD||YW EPD||SC EPD||DOC EPD||HP EPD||Milk EPD||CW EPD||Marb EPD||RE EPD||$W||$F||$G||$B|
|02/18/14||17803997||B/R Destination 7222-476
|2/22/17||18834378||WTR 476-337 Destination 751
|811||12/25/19||19174204||WTR 9403 Innovation 811||2.5||63||107||0.82||16||14||26||49||0.61||0.5||62.61||71.52||40.22||156.26|
|818||12/28/19||19174132||WTR 607 Playbook 818
|819||12/28/19||19174206||WTR 617 Whitlock 819||0.4||70||123||1.01||25||14||34||55||0.59||0.5||80.37||87.47||32.68||153.86|
|820||12/29/19||19174315||WTR 544 Playbook 820||1.5||64||104||0.38||16||10.3||30||44||0.35||0.36||72.66||59.44||22.77||123.14|
|821||12/29/17||19174198||WTR 109 Full Power 821
|839||1/16/18||19174156||WTR 216 Carcass Cut 839||2.5||58||98||0.01||4||12||35||37||0.53||0.43||69.11||46.27||33.23||112.83|
|844||1/18/18||19407260||WTR 305-489 Right Answer 844||3.4||53||98||20||30||0.42||0.22||33.67||58.84||30.96||105.68|
|858||1/25/18||19407261||WTR 654 C In Focus 858||2.7||45||79||1.48||16||11.9||15||27||0.86||0.23||25.79||39.64||45.61||118.02|
|864||2/2/18||19174368||WTR 6207 C In Focus 864
|868||2/5/18||19407262||WTR 244 Destination 868||2.2||44||87||0.87||14||11.1||17||32||0.76||0.47||25.61||49.88||46.11||127.25|
|879||2/13/18||19174357||WTR 476-354 Destination 879||2.7||52||98||0.83||11||10||19||33||0.62||0.67||38.32||53.04||44.19||118.86|
|Average EPD's (as of 1/30/19)||2.1||56||101||0.99||18||11.3||23||39||0.69||0.48||49.48||61.99||40.46||131.56|
|Average Percentage Ranking of EPD||40%||35%||35%||45%||40%||30%||45%||35%||30%||40%|
What strong characteristics are you looking for in your bulls? See break down charts below.
- CALVING EASE: Six (6) of the bulls are in the top 50% for Calving Ease Direct and we would use four (4) of the bulls on heifers (see our note on “low BW bulls” below)
- Seven (7) bulls are in top 35% for WW and six (6) bulls are in top 35% for YW
- CARCASS: Seven (7) bulls are in top 35% for Marbling (eleven are in top 50% of breed for MB)
- FEED EFFICIENCY: Four (4) feed efficiency tested bulls…we offer special assistance on getting premiums for feeder calves from these bulls; CALL FOR DETAILS! (811-818-821-839 are the Feed Efficiency Tested bulls)
Looking for a PROVEN MATURE bull that may add a bit of FRAME and transmit MARBLING to your calves for freezer beef/retail beef or feeder calves?
- Take a look at 476 (age 5 and great disposition) from Rishel in NE and 751 a son of 476 (you can see what the dad does: same great disposition) … both are in the top 30% for MB-- 476 is in the top 3% and 751 the top 30%
Looking for some ideas on bull selection? You may be the expert on bull evaluation. If not, here are some suggestions that we have found helpful over the past 22 years in the Angus beef cattle business:
- Explanation of EPD’s and suggestions on what are usable ranges. CLICK here to see the list.
- Good starting point is to list up your basic goals for your cow herd. What are the key elements you are strong in and what are the areas you’d like to see improved by the new bull?
- Birth Weight … What’s the right birth weight? We’ve gone too far in selecting for low or negative birth weight cattle. The several studies have been done in the real world and the results are conclusive. If you select for low, particularly negative birthweight bulls you are going to give up as much as 50 pounds at weaning and 50-100 more pounds at yearling. At $1.45 for 600 lbs. steers, another 50 lbs. would be an additional $70-75 per head…bottom line profit dollars! For Fats/Live Cattle the additional 100 lbs. would be another $125 at $1.25/lb. (Source: Beef Market Central as of Apr 10, 2019)
- Feed Efficiency…as an industry, we’ve not made as much progress on this as we should. A major contributor to the lack of progress has been the industry has not settled on the measurement criteria. For example, look at the different measurement formulas used today: RFI (residual feed intake); RADG (an EPD at Angus that looks at residual average daily gain); Feed-to-Gain or feed conversion; DMI (dry matter intake). There is value in each of these criteria. However, Ted has spent a considerable amount of time meeting with feedlots in Nebraska. When we showed the feedlot owners/operators the results of WTR bulls being tested at Werner Feed Efficiency in IA (and also at Midland Bull Test/MBT) they were quite impressed and encouraged us to meet with their feeder calf suppliers.
- Using EPD’s to improve your herd. It is always dangerous to use only one or two EPD’s in selecting bulls. However, if you have made good, balanced progress with your herd and there are one or two areas that you are looking to make more improvement in, the usage of the table below may help you figure out which ones help you get closer to that goal. Listed below are the bulls who are in the top 50% for Calving Ease Direct and the top 30-35% for all other tables.
|Calving Ease DirectD Direct EPD Top 50%||BW EPD|
|476 mat bull||+9||3.1|
|751 mat bull||+8||2.6|
|820||Not top 50%||1.5|
Bulls we consider to be calving ease for heifers: 819 – 818 – 864 – 820
|Scrotal EPD Top 35% - important for bull service and heifer progeny development|
|751 mat bull||1.46|
|476 mat bull||1.41|
There are four (4) other bulls that are in the top half for Scrotal circumference: 868 – 879 – 811 – 821…it is typical for us to have large scrotal bulls